Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Random story bit

it's the umbra again.


I blinked around the classroom, and saw exactly where all those cruel eyes landed. I was used to this. Every school, they would stare, and then you would be sickly sweet. They never really wanted to be friends with me. They just felt guilty that I had to look so ugly while they could be their pretty little selves. I only had one true friend, and he had to stay hidden.
     Then they would start talking. It would be the guilty looks I got when I was close enough to hear. The voices that grew to whispers as I passed. The laughter hidden behind hands. Then they would come into the open. Teasing, poking fun, tripping me. They would be relentless, and then it would be time to leave again.
     There was never anything I could do. I had no one to scold them. The only one to tell me that things would get better knew it wasn’t true. I was glad this new family had that big empty shed. It was a place that could be dark so he could come out at any time. Then I would find some comfort in someone who knew me better than myself.
     Someone other people couldn’t ridicule. Someone other people hadn’t ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment